Tortilla soup is a perfect way to use up your leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. Make it a meal with a simple salad and cheese quesadillas.
Looking for a great way to use up those holiday turkey left-overs? Tortilla soup is an easy alternative to sandwiches and enchiladas. This Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe from The Food Network is a winner. I have made this a few times with both chicken and turkey. Each time it comes out perfectly. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and tortilla chips. You can also check out another recipe for Turkey Tortilla Soup also from The Food Network here.
If you want to make this more of a true meal, I like to pair it with a simple salad of mixed greens with my classic vinaigrette and then make my simple quesadillas with cheese and jalapeño on the stove in a pan.
These simple quesadillas are perfect for any time you need a quick meal or snack. I guarantee they are done in less than 10 minutes and a kid and husband approved!
Simple Cheese Quesadillas:
- Take a nonstick skillet and spray with oil spray, or add a tiny bit of oil to the pan.
- Heat the pan over medium flame until hot
- Lay 1 large flour or wheat tortilla flat on your work surface
- Add enough grated cheese to cover the center of the tortilla – Mexican Blend, Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, Fontina or Colby
- Add a few slices of jalapeño on top of the grated cheese
- Lay another large tortilla on top of the other with the cheese and jalapeño and press down with your clean hands to compress the two tortillas together.
- Transfer the tortilla to the hot pan and press with a spatula so that you hear a sear. Cook for 2 -3 minutes.
- Flip the tortilla carefully and cover with a lid so that cheese melts.
- Cook another 2-3 minutes and then remove the lid and check both sides of the quesadilla.
- When brown on both sides and cheese seems to be melted, remove the quesadilla from the pan and transfer to a plate or board.
- Using a pizza cutter make cross-wise cuts in the quesadilla so that you have 6-8 wedges.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa on the side
For more great meal ideas check out our recipe page.